Directions from PDX Airport
Welcome out of towners! This is a great race and August is a wonderful time to visit the Pacific Northwest. The directions below should lead you from Portland Airport to the start.
- Exit the airport by driving out airport way (about the only way out)
- Take I-205 South
- Stay on I-205 South for 2 miles and turn on to I-84 East
- Follow I-84 East for about 7 miles. Take exit 16, NE 238th (Wood Village/Gresham). Turn right here and head up the hill (twisty section).
- This road changes names a few times, by the HWY it is NE 238th and after the turns going up the hill it changes to NE 242nd (and it may change name to Hogan - after that). Follow this road for about 2-3 miles.
-Turn Left onto Burnside road. Look for the signs for HWY 26. It's reasonably easy to see this turn on the way out. It is a little harder to catch this on the way back. I usually know to make the turn by looking for the U-haul place by the turn. In a mile or so, Burnside road joins onto HWY 26 (you may not notice the change).
As far as directions, the rest of the drive is easier.
- Drive many miles on HWY 26 through Sandy, past Government Camp and continue ten miles past the Hwy35/Hwy 26 intersection to HWY 42.
- Hwy42 (also marked as Skyline Rd and Timothy Lake). The Hwy 42 turn off is close to the 66 mile mark on Hwy 26. The ranger station (race start) is 10 miles down Hwy42, 1/4 mile past Hwy42/Hwy57 intersection on Hwy42.
Map for section of drive from Airport to HWY 26.